As a congregation that has always believed strongly in mission outreach, PCWS provides support where needed both locally and around the world in a number of ways, including:
PCWS actively promotes and participates in each of the four (4) seasonal denominational collections:
One Great Hour of Sharing (which supports Presbyterian Disaster Assistance, the Presbyterian Hunger Program, and Self-Development of People),
Pentecost Offering (supports young people and inspires them to share their faith, ideas, and unique gifts with the church and the world),
Peace and Global Witness Offering (encourages Peacemaking efforts around the world), and the
Christmas Joy Offering (provides assistance to current and retired church workers in time of need and develops our future leaders at Presbyterian-related schools and colleges equipping communities of color). Each of these special offerings support PCUSA mission efforts around the world, as you can see here. In addition, a significant percentage of our annual mission budget is allocated to Presbyterian General Assembly, our Synod (Synod of Lincoln Trails) and the Presbytery of Chicago in support of our denomination’s mission work around the world.
And for years, we have been actively engaged with supporting the 2nd Baptist Food Pantry in LaGrange with collections of non-perishable food items that are delivered weekly to the pantry. All coins in our collection plates are shared twice-yearly with both the Pine Avenue Food Pantry in the Austin neighborhood of Chicago and Greater Chicago Food Depository. And our aluminum recycling program engages many of our friends and neighbors, proceeds from which help support programs at our partner church in Cuba and local and global hunger agencies.
There are a number of mission organizations that we support financially each year, including:
- 2nd Baptist church of LaGrange Food Pantry
- BEDS Plus Care – Suburban Chicago
- Bernie’s Book Bank – Chicago & Suburbs
- The Boulevard – Chicago
- Chicago HOPES for Kids – Chicago
- Facing Forward to End Homelessness – Chicago
- Feed My Starving Children – International
- Greater Chicago Food Depository Job Training – Chicago & Suburbs
- Greater Chicago Food Depository – Chicago
- Interfaith Community Partners – Suburban Chicago
- The LeaderShop – Suburban Chicago
- Margaret’s Village – Chicago
- Night Ministry – Chicago
- Nueva Paz Presbyterian Church – Cuba
- Opportunity International – International
- Pillars Community Health – Suburban Chicago
- Pine Avenue Presbyterian Church Food Pantry – Chicago
- Second Presbyterian Church Lunch Bag Program – Chicago
- Sharing Connections – Suburban Chicago
Special Support of one of our Mission Partners
In 2019, PCWS broadened our support of The Greater Chicago Food Depository by donating to their workforce development program, Chicago’s Community Kitchen. These funds supported students participating in the free 14-week culinary training program. The workforce development program was founded in 1998 for preparing unemployed and under-employed adults for successful careers in the culinary and hospitality industry.
With the pandemic, we know the hospitality industry was severely impacted by business shutdowns. The Greater Chicago Food Depository adapted their workforce development program adding new training options in the supply chain industry, a sector greatly in need of trained workers.
PCWS has made another additional gift this year supporting the Greater Chicago Food Depository’s training program. What a wonderful celebration of our continued partnership and desire to be a vibrant part of our community!